ScreenSpy - big news from the small screen
Don't Miss

Neil Burger Set To Steer ‘Drake’s Fortune’ From Uncharted Waters

By on July 7, 2011
SeparatedAtBirth

When the news broke that David O Russell (The Fighter) had abandoned plans to adapt Sony’s PS3 title Uncharted, both genre fans and gamers everywhere sighed with relief. Gamers felt the unfamiliar proposed storyline did not do the games justice, while genre fans felt the role (initially offered to Mark Wahlberg) would be better played by such TV action stars as Joe Flanigan (Stargate Atlantis, ThoughtCrimes) or Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Castle).

The latest news on Uncharted (via Variety) is that Neil Burger (he of Limitless fame) is in negotiations to both write and direct the movie.  The original draft by Thomas Dean Donnelly & Joshua Oppenheimer was abandoned when Russell left the project citing creative differences.

The news brings hope to games and genre fans alike.  It is still unknown at this point if Mark Wahlberg will retain interest in the project now that Russell has jumped ship. And if he does decide to bail, the larger question remains.  Are either Joe Flanigan or Nathan Fillion’s profiles high enough to warrant consideration by Burger for the role?  Their fans say yes.  Nathan Fillion openly welcomed the suggestion from fans, going so far as to encourage a friendly fan campaign with the following tweet:

If ever there was a Twitter campaign, let this be it. Rise, ye Browncoats. Rise, ye Castillions. RISE!

Joe Flanigan’s management team declined to comment to Chevron One.  Flanigan has also been notably absent from Twitter.

The Uncharted franchise has been a run away success for Sony and developers Naughty Dog.  Uncharted: Drakes Deception, the third installment in the franchise, is due to be released in November 2011.

7 Comments

1. Dinabr

July 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm

A couple a months ago Joe Flanigan also welcomed the suggestion from fans

• BerryAnn

July 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Yes, he did.

On 12 October 2010 he tweeted:

“Would love to play Nathan Drake! And I’m damn good at the game too.”

And on 14 October: @JoeFlanigan for #NathanDrake” LET’S MAKE IT HAPPEN!

And now?

“Joe Flanigan’s management team declined to comment to Chevron One.”

His Royal Highness can’t be bothered, can he? *sighs*

And he would be a perfect Nathan Drake…

• villy

July 8, 2011 at 11:12 pm

His Royal Highness? That’s kind of harsh, isn’t it? Nothing was said to indicate that he himself refused to comment. For all we know the request never reached him.

• BerryAnn

July 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Harsh? Quite on the contrary! It’s the most courteous title I could think of 🙂

2. dani052566

July 7, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I like Nathan Fillion but think that Joe Flanigan would be better suited for this…and b/c I love him. And as Dinabr said, Joe was welcoming the idea of playing this role. I like Wahlberg too but don’t see him in this role at all.

3. SeixoLady

July 8, 2011 at 8:32 am

Many thanks for keeping us updated.

As MajorBerry has pointed out, Joe has also said he was interested via twitter,albeit sometime ago and I’m sure that it encouraged an equally ‘friendly fan campaign’ to that of Nathan Fillion’s. And surely that Nathan Fillion tweet to fans is also a tweet of sometime ago? Have you asked Nathan Fillion’s management team for a comment?

I’m a fan of Joe’s but since being involved in this campaign, have been well aware of gamers’ dislike of Mark Wahlberg. And I’ve come to agree with them. If a A-lister has to be chosen for the role, there are others far better out there.

• Jennifer Griffin

July 8, 2011 at 9:56 am

Gamers were less incensed by the prospect of Mark Wahlberg (a fine actor by all accounts) than by the David O Russell script which strayed far from the ‘Uncharted’ mythology.

As regards your query on Nathan Fillion (another fine actor) no, I did not approach him for an opinion on the Twitter fan campaign. Call me biased but I guess I see Joe Flanigan as the actor who would best embody Nathan Drake’s persona on the big screen. As factual and timely as I strive to make all Chevron One articles, I do tend to write about what interests me – in much the same way as people tend to read about what interests them 😉

That being said, I would welcome any fresh comments or opinions Mr. Fillion might have on the subject. I have the highest respect for him as an actor.