ScreenSpy - big news from the small screen
Don't Miss

Drop Dead Diva Creator’s Message to Fans: “You Are Being Heard”

By on February 4, 2013
Josh Berman. © Sony Pictures Television/Bob Mahoney

Josh Berman. © Sony Pictures Television/Bob Mahoney

“You are being heard,” is Drop Dead Diva boss Josh Berman’s message to fans anxious about the future of the show.

Speaking to ScreenSpy this weekend, Berman described fan reaction to the news of the recent cancellation as “Unlike anything I’ve seen in my entire career.”

“I’ve worked on Mega-hits, like CSI and Bones, and while the fan base for Drop Dead Diva may be smaller — our fans are more passionate and vocal,” said Berman. “Fans have created petitions with thousands of signatures demanding Diva get a pick-up. Fans have also started Facebook pages and created YouTube videos in support of the show. And, since cancellation, Drop Dead Diva has been trending on and off Twitter. The fans love the show and they are committed to Jane’s journey. I’m so gratified by their support and I believe their activity on social media will help ensure the show finds a home.”

On January 15, 2013, Lifetime made the unexpected decision to cancel Drop Dead Diva after four seasons, a move which puzzled many considering ratings for the show had been trending upwards during its last season.

I asked Berman how efforts to return Diva to TV were progressing. “I can’t give you specifics,” he said. “But I can assure you that multiple networks have expressed interest in Drop Dead Diva. The series attracts more than 2 million viewers and our season 4 finale was up 35% from season 3. With these kinds of numbers on basic cable I feel confident we’ll return for another season – and probably more than that.”

The show’s fourth season ended on a spectacular cliffhanger which saw disaster strike Jane (Brooke Elliott) and Owen’s (Lex Medlin) wedding and the return (possibly) of the real Jane Bingum.

RELATED | Diva Boss Sounds off on Jaw Dropping Season Finale

“I feel like all four seasons of Drop Dead Diva are leading up to season 5,” Berman reflected. “Without giving away details, it should be our best year yet creatively. Jane is a gorgeous, confidant woman who will get to shine.”

On the possibility of a fifth season on a new Network, Berman responded, “I have nothing but positive things to say about Lifetime. They put Drop Dead Diva on the air and they spent time and money marketing and nurturing the series. I’d love if Diva still returned to Lifetime but I’m open to whatever network wants us.”

So what can fans do to keep the conversation going?  “Don’t give up,” said Berman. “Social media is a great way to be heard. Join our Facebook page and post messages. Go on MyLifetime.com and leave comments about the show. Follow me on twitter at @bermanjosh for updates and tweet your support of the show with #renewdropdeaddiva or simply #dropdeaddiva.  You are being heard!”

Drop Dead Diva is created and executive produced by Josh Berman and stars Brooke Elliott, April Bowlby, Kate Levering, Jackson Hurst, Josh Stamberg, Lex Medlin and Carter MacIntyre.

22 Comments

1. Nonna

February 5, 2013 at 4:52 am

one of those networks that are interested need to pick up Drop Dead Diva and give us a 5th season!!

2. karen lindsey

February 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

this is a splendid show, with a terrific balance of comedy and seriousness, the messages so skillfully integrated into the comedy that you never quite know you’re being ”preached” to. fine acting, sometimes superlative writing…i was surprised that Lifetime let it go, and am hoping another network with perhaps more insight will soon pick it up. i’d hate to see the summer pass with no ”Diva”!

3. Su

February 5, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This is a quality show and deserves to continue. I want my DROP DEAD DIVA, nothing else like it on tv these days.

4. Alan Parker

February 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Josh, keep doing what you are doing. Us DDD fans will keep up the social networking. Together, we have the power. Looking forward to Season 5.

5. Tina

February 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm

The summer just wouldn’t be the same without Jane and the gang. Besides, we gotta know what happened after that finale. I really hope the show is picked up.

6. Lisa

February 6, 2013 at 12:05 am

Thank you Josh for keeping hope alive. Still hopeful for season 5 and many more seasons to come!!!

7. Lourdes T

February 6, 2013 at 4:53 am

Bring Drop Dead Diva back! It is a wonderful break from all the crime and violence on TV these days. And Jane is super sexy!
    Mexico wants it back. We love Brooke and the rest of the cast.

8. Kathy S.

February 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm

This is such a great show! I truly hope we can see another season of DDD. Hoping for the best!

9. joanne shewchuk

February 6, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I can’t believe they cancelled this wonderful show.Everybody is always screaming there is no decent family shows,this is ONE!I’m getting tired of all my favorite shows getting cancelled and reality shows and shows like dirty little liars running.People smartin up!

10. Kris

February 7, 2013 at 3:15 am

I am shocked!! One of the only shows on TV, like others have said – comedy and serious TV, that is not all about aex and full of sexual inuendos. What is wrong with Lifetime?? C’mon people… we need our Diva!!

11. maria rubio

February 7, 2013 at 3:31 am

I need this show !!!! We all Need this show!!!!!! This is my favorite show and I was looking forward to season 5..I hate reality shows, We need actors acting, not people wanting to act like actors, it just doesn’t happen because someone puts a camera in your face and ask you do act stupid…

12. Alicia P

February 7, 2013 at 11:54 am

This used to be a really good show then it started going downhill – getting rid of the first angel? the second angel going out on dates? Parker having feelings? For me, the last straw was the last season finale when the “real” Jane came back inside Owen at the wedding – can we say “awkward”? Sorry, guys, but you lost me.

• Jennifer Griffin

February 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I spoke to creator/producer Tim Kring (Touch, Heroes) yesterday, and during our interview he mentioned that audiences complain when characters don’t evolve and grow over the course of a show’s run … and they complain when they do.

I thought it was quite an amusing and accurate reflection.

For my own part, I think Josh and the creative team behind #DDD should be commended for growing their characters and raising the stakes while remaining true to all the things that makes the show so enjoyable to watch.

And based on the viewing figures for the show’s last season finale, it would appear I’m not alone in that view.

• Su

February 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm

It’d be a shame to have this ‘gem’ of a show toss aside like garbage. It is everything a quality show should be. Not only is it not fair to the fans, but the actors and all members, as well. Drop Dead Diva is so worth watching and even more – keeping it where it belongs – on our televisions. To just stop it so abruptly and leave the fans hanging like lifetime did is just not right, not right at all.

13. RS

February 7, 2013 at 1:22 pm

This show is pleasant and fun to watch. It just puts me in a good mood. I love every character, which is rare for me, and would hope that a network would pick it up. This chick has had it with Lifetime and its stupid reality shows it now airs. Please, someone, give us back our diva.

14. Maribel

February 7, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I love this show and is something that I can watch with my daugthers,they are from 11yr to 22yr and every Sunday it was our moment ,this show was appropiate for all of us.Bring it back,please!

15. camille

February 11, 2013 at 10:13 pm

We want DDD !!!

16. Emma

February 23, 2013 at 7:24 am

Thanks Josh for not giving up on my favorite show! I have hope that DDD will come back. It’s an amazing show that deserves more seasons!

17. Stephen Johnson

February 28, 2013 at 4:57 am

Considering you already have four seasons in the can with a built in audience, it would be an ideal program on a new network where few existing viewers have seen it. The rerun costs would be lower than the cost of new episodes but could be integrated into the new network. Seems like a no brainer to me.

18. cc

February 28, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I agree with Alicia P. I love the show but when Fred left it took a serious hit. I think you’ve tied it up nicely with Grayson and Jane kissing Jay and Kim love and baby on the way. Got to see Fred one more time. When you had real Jane go into Owens body, female to male that’s where I got off. Nice show but fifth season would just be a slow death

19. Jennifer

May 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Please read entire post. Especially if you are from Lifetime or DDD. So happy DDD is not being cancelled!!! June doesn’t come fast enough. I agree that Fred made the best guardian angel and he needs to come back but it’s certainly not going to make me stop watching. I love every character, the show has romance, friendship, comedy, suspense and lessons to learn. Kim and Parker are awesome together, love it!!! I also agree that there are so many stupid shows on TV theses days that have been on for years that should have been cancelled years ago. It just surprises me Lifetime would cancel a show that obviously has a huge fan rating. They constantly have the same shows and movies on all the time, constant repeats, so it’s refreshing when DDD comes on Sun. nights it’s new and it’s not about murder. It’s my favorite show. If they had any common sense they would make their fans happy and sign a contract for more seasons up front. And if they don’t another network should so lifetime can kick themselves in the butt for being stupid. Thanks for reading my novel. Greatest DDD fan ever:)