LUKE CAGE, IRON FIST & THE DEFENDERS at San Diego Comic Con
By Pauline Perenack
Judging by the length of the line for Marvel’s Luke Cage panel, Netflix has another hit on its hands.
Full disclosure, I missed the first few minutes of the panel because I was stuck in that long line, but I was present for some amazing reveals and newsworthy tidbits.
The cast of the upcoming Netflix series made their first-ever appearance, answering questions and giving fans a look at exclusive footage from the highly anticipated series, ahead of its September 30 global debut on Netflix.
The panel was moderated by Jeph Loeb (executive producer and Marvel’s Head of Television). Daredevil’s Jon Bernthal also joined Loeb to introduce the Luke Cage panel, including show runner Cheo Coker, Frank Whaley, Theo Rossi, Misty Knight, Mahaershala Ali, Simone Missick, Alfrie Woodward and Mike Colter.
Here’s some important things to note about Luke Cage:
- Music is a BIG part of the show. Creator Cheo Coker used to be a writer for Vibe magazine and wanted the music to be cohesive and play like a full album. Every episode is also named after a game show song.
- Throughout the series, viewers will get a ton of backstory to the characters, which wasn’t given in Jessica Jones. And while there will be a ton of action and romance, the show is a drama first and foremost, which just so happens to be set in a superhero world.
- All of the clips shown beautifully showed off the amazing cinematography which was found throughout Daredevil and Jessica Jones.
- The series will drop on September 30 on Netflix worldwide.
- If all of that wasn’t enough to digest, it was announced that Daredevil was renewed for season 3. Additionally, the Marvel universe is expanding on Netflix, with the additions of Iron Fist, and in 2017, The Defenders. (See official trailers for all shows below.)
After a sabotaged experiment leaves him with super strength and unbreakable skin, Luke Cage (Mike Colter) becomes a fugitive who attempts to rebuild his life in modern day Harlem, New York City. But soon he is pulled out of the shadows and must fight a battle for the heart of his city – forcing him to confront a past he had tried to bury.
Danny Rand fights relentlessly to regain everything he’s lost in Marvel’s Iron Fist, coming soon to Netflix.
Marvel’s The Defenders will unite Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, as they face their biggest threat yet.