- The CW Debuts 2014-2015 Primetime Schedule
- What’s on CBS This Fall? 2014-2015 Primetime Schedule Revealed
- Complete Rundown of New FOX Dramas, Comedies & Event Series for 2014-2015
- FOX Announces 2014-2015 Fall Schedule
- NBC’s 2014-2015 Fall Schedule
- What Has ABC Renewed, Cancelled, Picked Up For 2015?
Almost Human at the FOX TCA Summer Press Tour
It was FOX’s turn at the annual Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour today. The twice yearly event is an opportunity for major television networks to showcase their slate of upcoming programs through panels and interviews.
Present at the Almost Human panel this year were stars Karl Urban, Michael Ealy, Michael Irby, Mackenzie Crook, Lili Taylor and Minka Kelly in addition to Executive Producer Naren Shankar and Creator/ Executive Producer J.H. Wyman.
The panel dished on the new series, dropping some hints about what to expect over the coming season, including the following tidbits:
- The show will be a procedural with a strain of mythology running through it. “This is a police drama,” noted Wyman.
- The subject of robot ethics that will be examined, according to Wyman.
- Futuristic crimes must be interesting and plausible, not just speculative fiction, said Wyman.
- Speaking about the show, star Karl Urban commented “It questions us. It makes us as an audience question ourselves & what does it mean to be a human. We’re not presenting a dystopian vision of the future. This is a future that is easily accessible.”
- According to Wyman, Kennex’s father will play a part in the series.
- Dorian (Michael Ealy) is a machine but also a living breathing sentient being, explained Wyman.
- Ealy described Dorian as “somewhat childlike,” and noted that humanity “is something he will never have.” He tries to use a childlike innocence when approaching his character. “His innocence is in observing what’s going on around him. It’s more fascinating.”
- The pilot features a floating red ball – a nod to both Trek and Alias.
- “We want to tell stories where the human race still has a chance,” said Wyman of the show’s tone and direction.
- “I can’t lie. When I first read it, I was concerned that I wouldn’t have a love interest.” Ealy joked. The subject of a potential relationship for Dorian was cause for much laughter among the panel members. Wyman admitted that a girlfriend for Dorian is unlikely.
First look images from the panel follow below.