A New Chapter of WESTWORLD is Set to Begin
BY The Screen Spy Team
Published 2 years ago
A New Chapter of Westworld is Set to Begin
By Pauline Perenack
The Executive Producers and cast members of HBO’s Westworld took over Hall H at Comic Con to talk about where Artificial Intelligence is heading in our society, the metaphors that are prevalent within the series, and of course, where season three of the futuristic scifi series will take viewers.
Filling out the panel was Executive Producers Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan, and cast members Tessa Thompson, Aaron Paul, Luke Hemsworth, Jeffrey Wright, Evan Rachel Wood, and Thandie Newton. Here are a few of the things discussed:
- The title for season three is ‘The New World’.
- Wood said that Dolores is a fish out of water this season, and is taking on the world single-handedly.
- Additionally, Wood mentioned that there would be a good mix of Dolores and Wyatt this season.
- Paul talked about being shell-shocked and star struck when coming on set. His character is named Caleb, and is a construction worker who has a robot named George.
- Season three is discarding the usual metaphors of the previous seasons, and instead is dealing with the world for what it is – a shit show.
- Nolan and Joy said that the character of Ford is a composite of very real people.
- Thompson called Wood to get tips about playing Dolores once she knew about the storyline. Tips included things like Dolores’ right hand always laid in her left hand as she sits down.
- Newton said that season two was really hard for her character. While she was able to find her free will, she chose to let it go.
- Even though they’re not the biggest fans of AI, Joy and Nolan have a smart speaker in their home, have sent in their DNA to be tested, and have an autonomous vehicle.
- Everyone agreed that even though the show is violent, it’s nowhere near as violent as the real world. They simply put a lens on the violence to make people feel uncomfortable, which they should be.
- There will be a lot of conversations about inequality and money due to AI in season three.
- Dolores is constantly growing and discovering things about herself and the world. Wood is excited to see where Dolores goes next.
- Paul said he gravitates towards characters that make him feel deep-rooted feelings. It was a dream come true for him to work with Joy and Nolan.
- Newton pointed out that so little of the nudity in the show was sexual. Specifically for her character, being naked was never demoralizing, and didn’t weaken her in any way.
- Paul said that they’re still shooting this season, and every script is like another layer of an onion being pulled away, and as such, he’s looking forward to what’s next.
One of the biggest takeaways from this panel is just how intelligent every single member of the panel is. They all were able to speak about very deep subjects, and were very knowledgeable about the societal impacts of the rise of artificial intelligence in our world. Each person was very invested in the show, and the overall thematic elements that are woven throughout each season. As such, the panel was very interesting, and it sounds like season three will be just as confusing and wonderful as the past two seasons.
The third season of Westworld premieres on HBO in 2020.