By Pauline Perenack
This year at Comic Con, AMC’s Fear the Walking Dead took over Hall H to a packed room, and talked about what fans could look forward to when the show returns for Season 5B on August 11. Additionally, fans were treated to the announcement of a sixth season.
Executive Producers Scott Gimple, Andrew Chambliss, Robert Kirkman, Gale Ann Hurd, Ian Goldberg, Greg Nicotero, Dave Alpert, and Michael Satrazemis came out first and talked about the newest show coming to the Walking Dead world, before stars Lennie James, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Danay Garcia, Maggie Grace, Jenna Elfman, Ruben Blades, Karen David, Alexa Nisenson, and Austin Amelio came out to talk about what their characters are currently going through.
As such, here are a few things discussed in the panel:
- New actors joining the show include Colby Minifie, and Peter Jacobson.
- Debnam-Carey says that Alicia has taken on the role of protector, and she’s using her weapon to close herself off from those around her.
- Alicia isn’t the only one who has been exposed to radiation, so expect stories revolving around health issues to come up.
- Characters will discover that all along, there have been other civilizations that have survived the apocalypse. These civilizations are what the new Walking Dead series will revolve around.
- Specifically, the new series will focus on a group of kids from one of the civilizations who have grown up behind the walls of their colony, and eventually leave those walls on a journey. Some kids will become heroes, others will become villains.
- Grace was very thankful for her most recent episode, as it really expanded her character.
- Elfman talked about how the “John Dory” effect is very healing for June, and keeps everything calm. It’s essentially her worst nightmare to be without John.
- David immersed herself in the world of Chernobyl to find the meaning in her character.
- Nisenson said the balloon ride of Strand and Charlie really brought the two characters together, and that it was a moment of pride for Charlie to help save the group.
- Blades talked about how his character Daniel really had to find a reason for why he was still alive, and that there must be a purpose for him.
- It was Blades that requested Daniel to have a companion – a cat.
- Amelio said he was a huge fan of Elfman and Garret Dillahunt, and really geeked out being able to work with them.
- Debnam-Carey felt that for Alicia to be in any kind of relationship, it would have to be with someone who made her feel safe.
- James told the story of reaching out to Amelio when James was about to start on the show, asking about the weather in Austin. Amelio told him he’d be fine with a light jacket, and it ended up snowing on James’ first day.
- Episode 509 is filmed very different than the others, in that it’s very similar to a documentary.
Fear the Walking Dead returns from its mid-season break on Sunday August 11.