By Pauline Perenack
This year’s Fear the Walking Dead Comic Con panel brought together TWDU chief content officer Scott Gimple, showrunners and executive producers Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg, and cast members Lennie James, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Colman Domingo, Danay Garcia, Karen David, Jenna Elfman, and Ruben Blades to discuss the upcoming sixth season of the show.
At the end of season five, we saw our unlikely family split up by Virginia and her Pioneers, and the cast talked about how everyone is reacting to being forced to live within Virginia’s communities, and how that affects their characters going forward. As such, during the panel, some of the things we learned included:
- If you’ve seen the trailer, that was definitely Morgan with the red eyes. (If you haven’t, catch it, region-free below.) There is something going on with Morgan this year.
- It looks like Strand and Alicia end up in the same community.
- James describes Virginia as a great villain, and credit is due to Colby Minifie who brings an off-kilter energy to the character. She’s unnerving, and ultimately, one of the most successful adversaries seen in the show.
- Gimple says that we’ll see other dimensions to Virginia this season.
- When asked about trust, Debnam-Carey says that Alicia has some serious trust issues, but probably trusts Strand the most since she’s known him the longest. They’ve been through so much together, and he’s been there for her when Madison was gone.
- Goldman points out that Virginia is calling the shots in Season 6, and the main characters are now living in her world, which creates a massive paradigm shift. It’ll be explored how the characters deal with this, and how they react.
- Tonally, season 6 will be very dark, and there will be an anthology structure to the episodes.
- Both Domingo and James direct episodes this season. It was James’ first time, and he really enjoyed the experience, even though he described it as terrifying.
- Season 6 starts with a time jump, and there will be more time jumps throughout the season.
- There will be a lot of new characters, and one in particular, Virginia’s little sister, really opens new worlds to explore.
- Season 6 will be more of a western than anything else, but each episode will have its own flavor.
Overall, it sounds like it’ll be a while until we see the core “family” together again, but they each have their own plan that they’re working towards, while interacting with new characters.
Season 6 will be dark, but it’ll have deep character dives that’ll help fans understand why each character is doing what they’re doing. As always, it should be a wild ride.
Follow @ScreenSpy on Twitter for more Fear the Walking Dead scoop this season.
Fear the Walking Dead premieres Sunday, October 11 at 9pm ET/PT on AMC. Catch the full Comic Con panel below.