By Pauline Perenack
Nightflyers takes Flight at Comic Con
Syfy’s Nightflyers, is a 10 episode story based on the novella of the same name by George R.R. Martin. The show follows a team of scientists as they travel through space to find other life forms in the hopes they can help to find other suitable places to live. However, they soon realize that it isn’t what’s in outer space they should be afraid of, it’s what’s on their ship.
So after seeing a brand new trailer (check it out below), here are some tidbits we learned during the panel.
- Being thrown to the edges of the solar system causes the characters’ primal instincts to come out, which is a primary of horror.
- The real horror however, comes from the life baggage the characters bring with them.
- Gretchen Mol really liked being able to go to the crazy places as an actor that this show brought them all.
- Viewers will see a lot of The Shining, 2001 a Space Odyssey, and Alien in the show.
- The actual film lenses used in Alien were used in the filming, which makes it feel as though you’re watching a film.
- The story is very ambitious.
- The actors all agreed that the sets themselves felt very creepy.
- The series was filmed over five months in Ireland.
- A lot of people die – but you’ll have to stay tuned to see who.
- Most of the horror is more psychological than gory.
Immediately following the panel, I was able to join the press room to speak to some of the primary cast, as well as the executive producers, so make sure to read that for a more in-depth discussion about what to expect from the show, as well as more information on some of the various characters.
Nightflyers can be seen first this fall on Syfy, and internationally on Netflix, thereafter.
Follow our official Twitter @ScreenSpy for more Nightflyers scoop.