By Pauline Perenack
Walking into the pilot screening and Q&A of NBC’s new series Timeless this weekend at San Diego Comic Con it was difficult to know what to expect.
Attendees were given a special sneak peek of the full episode, and were quickly entranced. There were hoots of laugher, and gasps of shock throughout the screening from a won-over crowd, and by the end of the episode, pretty much everyone was left wanting more.
The series, from Eric Kripke (Supernatural), Shawn Ryan (The Shield) and the producers of The Blacklist centers on a mysterious criminal who steals a secret state-of-the-art time machine with the purpose of destroying America as we know it by changing the past.
Our only hope is an unexpected team: Rufus (Malcolm Barrett), a scientist; Wyatt (Matt Lanter), a soldier; and Lucy (Abigail Spencer), a history professor, all of who must use the machine’s prototype to travel back in time to critical events. While they must make every effort not to affect the past themselves, they must also stay one step ahead of dangerous fugitive Flynn (Goran Višnjić).
Immediately following the premiere, the creators, Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke, were joined by stars Abigail Spencer, Matt Lanter, Malcolm Barrett, and Goran Visnjic to discuss the pilot and what to expect this season.
Some takeaways from the panel included:
- The pilot tackles the Hindenburg disaster, as well as race issues in the time period.
- The second episode will focus on the assassination of President Lincoln.
- The use of contemporary names in the past will be a big part of the humor of the show.
- We will quickly find out what Flynn is attempting to change in the past.
- As a fallout from the events of the pilot, Lucy will have to deal with the emotional impact throughout the season.
- This show looks to be a great ride, so make sure to tune in for its premiere on NBC in October.