The Walking Dead Fandom
BY Shannon Entin
Published 4 years ago
Season 8 of The Walking Dead premiers on Sunday October 22nd on AMC, and for die-hard #TWD fans, it’s like waiting for Christmas morning. Shannon is a long time, hard-core Walking Dead fan and Fadra is a new fan making her way through Season 5 as we speak. This week, they discuss this hugely popular show and conclude that it’s never too late to join a fandom.
Ready, Li’l Ass-Kicker?
2:17 What are we watching? It’s the most wonderful time of the year! So much new TV to watch!
- Shannon watched Big Little Lies on HBO. Fadra had already seen the show awhile back and also read the book. It’s the story of 4 women who live in a swanky Monterey neighborhood and their kids are starting 1st grade together. They all have their own secrets that they struggle with. It addresses themes of domestic abuse, cheating, bullying, rape, and of course, lying. Stars Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley, and Laura Dern. Shannon & Fadra discuss what they loved about this excellent mini-series.
- Shannon is also enjoying American Horror Story (Tuesdays on FX), The Voice (Mondays & Tuesdays on NBC), The Gifted (Mondays on Fox), and Outlander (Sundays on Showtime).
- Once Upon a Time is an all-new cast and story this year. Fadra & Shannon aren’t sure they’ll like it…
- On Fadra’s suggestion, Shannon started watching 3% on Netflix. Awesome show about a world where the majority of people live in poverty and compete to be among the 3% to live on the “Offshore” where life is supposedly wonderful. Will discuss more when Shannon has finished the first season!
- Shannon wants to see Star Trek: Discovery, but it’s only on CBS streaming and will cost $6/month. Shannon & Fadra discuss the trend toward streaming services for every channel and wonder just how much the market can bear?
- Fadra is re-watching Stranger Things and got her husband hooked, too! The second season comes out on Netflix on October 27th.
- Fadra has also watched Jerry Before Seinfeld, American Vandal, Narcos, and the Great British Baking Show (all on Netflix).
22:48 Last movie seen?
- Shannon watched Baywatch. It was better than she expected! Funny, lots of eye candy, and even a semblance of a plot!
- Fadra’s husband chose Death Note for date night. She calls it strange and stupid.
- Fadra also watched The Discovery with Robert Redford, Jason Segal, and Rooney Mara. She had high hopes for the storyline but ended up feeling really confused.
28:52 What’s coming up?
- Thor: Ragnarok comes out November 3rd. Mark your calendars, get your tickets. Shannon & Fadra discuss Chris Hemsworth’s hair.
- Molly’s Game (in theaters 11/22/17) is the true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier who ran the world’s most exclusive high-stakes poker game for a decade before being arrested in the middle of the night by the FBI. Stars Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, Kevin Costner, and Michael Cera.
33:18 Stinger Topic of the Week: The Walking Dead
- Spoiler Alert! We will be discussing details of the show up to the beginning of season five.
- Origin of The Walking Dead: Started in 2003 as a monthly black and white comic. Apparently, in “comic book time” only about a year has passed since the outbreak that caused humans to turn into zombie-like creatures or WALKERS.
- It’s NOT about zombies, it’s about the people! Yes, they have to protect themselves from the zombies, but they also have to find food and water, and figure out how to relate to other people in this new world. Shannon and Fadra discuss the episode “The Grove,” where Carol has to make a tough call.
43:40 How realistic do you think the show is?
- Fadra signed up for kickboxing so she can defend herself.
- Shannon & Fadra discuss preppers, how the show could be a guidebook for the apocalypse, and what happens when you take away the rules of society.
49:30 What kind of Walking Dead fan are you? If you saw someone alone on the side of the road, would you pass them by or take them in? Shannon and Fadra have a discussion about trust and compassion.
50:50 Who’s your favorite villain?
- Shannon says “FANTASTIC” way too many times when describing Negan.
- Fadra didn’t like the Governor, and especially his casting.
52:52 Who’s your favorite character?
- Daryl is Shannon’s favorite. Besides that she think he’s really sexy, she loves to see his transformation as we move through the series. The episode “Still” where he and Beth bond over some moonshine is one of her favorites.
- Fadra also loves Daryl so much. He’s an antihero, really. And she’s definitely Team Rick. People need a leader and he’s good at it.
57:02 Do you like the love interests? Who should get together?
- Fadra doesn’t care for the love interests and she thinks people would really smell. Shannon thinks people would be f&*$ing a lot more.
- Lots of fans want Carol & Daryl to get together. No.
- Shannon & Fadra go off on a tangent about apocalypse hair.
- Shannon would like to see Carl find a girlfriend. Zombie apocalypse is a lonely place for a teenage boy!
1:01:54 Fadra’s predictions!
- Glenn dies (SPOILER!!).
- Fadra KNEW they were cannibals at Terminus before anyone else figured it out.
- Where is Beth and why does Maggie not care much? Fadra thinks someone is snagging young fertile women to get them to reproduce.
- She knows Morgan re-enters the picture at some point. She thought it would be Terminus but obviously not the case.
- And what is up with the guy who “knows the cure”? Fadra predicts it’s something he’s carrying in his body/blood.
- Fadra thinks they’ll make it to DC and run into whoever the big bad guy is (Negan!).
- Fadra has heard that Rick won’t make it through the end of this season! Say it aint so!!
Breaking news: The Walking Dead has a sister show called Fear the Walking Dead and they just announced they are going to do a crossover episode. Shannon enjoyed the first season of Fear the Walking Dead, but it’s gone downhill after that.
Final words: it’s never too late to start a show and be a part of something. After getting so deep into this show, Fadra gets why fandom is family!
“We made it. We can make it. We can. We’re the ones who live.”
If you know someone who loves movies and TV, please tell them about Stinger! And if YOU enjoy our podcast, we’d love for you to leave us a review on iTunes!
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and join our Facebook discussion group – where we talk ALL WEEK LONG about the latest in entertainment. And of course you can find us at @stingerpodcast on Twitter and Instagram.