7 Teases About Bones’ “The Ghost in the Killer” Episode

By on January 6, 2014
Pictured: Cam (Tamara Taylor, L) and Brennan (Emily Deschanel, R). Co.  Cr:  Patrick McElhenney/FOX

Pictured: Cam (Tamara Taylor, L) and Brennan (Emily Deschanel, R). Co. Cr: Patrick McElhenney/FOX

If you receive a boxed skeleton on your front doorstep at Christmas time, there’s a good chance you were on Santa’s Naughty List, right?

Not if you’re forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance Brennan and FBI Special Agent Seeley Booth in this Friday’s episode, “The Ghost in the Killer.” At least, that’s what one would think … but this case and its implications are perhaps the most complicated the Jeffersonian team has ever encountered. And this time it’s personal. For everyone.

Returning to our screens after the holiday hiatus, Bones’ first two episodes, “The Ghost in the Killer” and “Big in the Philippines” set the stage for two equally bold story arcs that deliver on the promise of a ‘unique and out-of the box’ second half of Bones’ ninth season.

Courtesy of our friends at FOX, ScreenSpy previewed these two first episodes and we can’t wait to share some tidbits with you. First, let’s talk about “The Ghost Killer.” Look out for our follow up piece on  “Big in the Philippines” coming soon.

Here we go!

1. Two Sexy Skin Scenes!

First, a Brennan-Booth bedroom scene … actually in the bed this time … and it’s not a dream. I kid you not! As expected, Brennan is assertive and Booth is accommodating, but keep your pants on people, it’s not the whiz-bang you may be dying for. It is, however, endearing and a good set up for what happens in the rest of the episode. The second skin scene involves a shower stall and a very small towel. That is all I will say.

2. What Is A Ghost Killer Anyway?

If Pelant is to be believed, it’s an enigmatic female perpetrator of a series of unsolved and disparate murders whose remains reside in Brennan’s cold case files in Limbo. Or maybe this is just more of Pelant’s manipulative warm psychotic poo and there is no connection between the cases at all. Unable to resist an unsolved case of this magnitude, Brennan has been examining cold cases for months without progress … until someone tosses her a bone. Or, 206 bones, to be exact. This episode provides a potential first connection between the cases, depending on which expert’s opinion you choose to believe.

3. Hodgins Reveals Some Interesting Sleeping Habits From His Youth

A Binkie and a Muffy. And we’re not talking about security blankets and pacifiers. Think about it.

4. Brennan Steps Out of Her Comfort Zone — Effortlessly

In a heart-crushing scene, Brennan effortlessly (!) and guilelessly makes an unprecedented offer of intimacy to the least likely colleague. Though her offer is not rebuffed, the recipient is uncomfortable at first, but agrees to capitulate, but only in private. The whole exchange is delightfully tender.

5. What Does a Ghost Look Like?

Suffice it to say, “The Ghost in the Killer” episode could very likely provide viewers with the first glimpse of the elusive specter, though no one, not even Booth, has interrogated her yet. Put together your vast knowledge of the Ghost Killer and you’ll know exactly who I’m talking about. I’ve already said too much.

6. Heartbreak And Deception

A long-time relationship ends, causing a beloved character to break some rules at the Jeffersonian. Unfortunately, Cam finds out about the infractions and threatens sanctions, though she never learns the details behind the activity. Cam is too busy considering breaking a couple of rules on her own to help a close friend who is in trouble … and Booth is behind her all the way. That’s what friends are for.

7. Mid Season 9 Off To An Intriguing Start

“The Ghost Killer” opens with a pristine version of Stephen King meets classic George Lucas meets the morning-after hangover from a Glenlivit-inspired mechanical bull ride. In short, it will simultaneously run a chill down your spine, send you into a claustrophobic sweat, and force you to conduct a damage check … on your psyche. All in all, a good set-up episode for what looks to be a very interesting slew of episodes.

Come to think of it, “Big in the Philippines” is equally frightening, but on an entirely different plane. We’ll tease more about that shortly, so stay tuned!

There you have it Bones lovers! Hopefully we’ve tempted but not tainted you with our teases.

Catch Bones “The Ghost in the Killer” on Friday, January 10th and “Big in the Philippines” on January 17th at 8:00-9:00 pm ET/PT on FOX. Review our Images and Details for both episodes!

Guest Cast: Eugene Byrd as Dr. Clark Edison; Chad Donella as Dan Brewster; Mitchell Fink as Trent McNamara; Kelly Rutherford as Stephanie McNamara; Andrew Leeds as Christopher Pelant; Eileen Grubba as Donna Hastings, and Heather McComb as Erika Stamp.

About The Screen Spy Team

From casual contributors to dedicated entertainment journalists, the Screen Spy Team are committed to serving up the latest entertainment news from the world of TV and Film. From reviews, editorials and interviews to casting news, promo trailers and sneak peeks, our team will keep you covered.

23 Comments

1. Amanda Hansen

January 6, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I love this short article that teases about the upcoming Bones episode. What a way to give fans of Bones a little taste of their favorite show and really a way to get them to watch BONES on Friday. I’m way excited by the teases and appreciate the authors cleverness. YAHOO our wait for BONES is almost over. Thanks to Catherine for really giving us even more reason to stay home Friday and watch B”ONES…

• Catherine Cabanela

January 6, 2014 at 7:34 pm

You got it, Amanda. ANd there’s more to come next week when we present some scoopy news on that episode as well!

• Amanda Hansen

January 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm

You have the heartbeat of this show. I appreciate your talent and insight on everything B”ONES…Keep up the great work.

2. sandra holl

January 6, 2014 at 9:44 pm

As usual your descriptions are VERY interesting, making me wish it was Friday already!!!!!

• Catherine Cabanela

January 6, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Sandra – I’ve been wishing it was Friday for a MONTH. LOL! Can’t wait to hear your reactions of the actual episode!

3. mossadninja

January 6, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Just like the Heinz ketchup commercial, anticipation! Good tease – not too much not too little. Here’s your crown…I dub thee Queen of Reviews

• Catherine Cabanela

January 6, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I humbly bow. This episode really is quality … as is “Big in the Philippines”. Please share with all your BONES FRIENDS!

4. Christine

January 6, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I’m a little worried about the heart crushing scene. Hope it doesn’t effect booth.

• Catherine Cabanela

January 7, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Have faith. It actually goes a long way to solidify an important relationship going forward. We’ll talk after, Okay? : )

5. myrnama

January 7, 2014 at 2:15 am

Catherine, thanks for the preview of this coming Fridays’ episode of Bones!! I’ve really missed Bones while absent again over the Holiday Season!!! Look forward to seeing this episode & since it’s so cold outside here in the Midwest, it’s nice to look forward to the promised “warmth” in the Booth-Brennan household!! Can’t wait!! Your snappy repartee was greatly missing over the Holiday break, too!! But I’m sure you needed to recharge those writers fingers & brain…Glad you’re back, kiddo!! Hope your Holidays were a lot of fun for you & your family!!

• Catherine Cabanela

January 8, 2014 at 4:36 am

I am so grateful not to have waited as long as most viewers because those breaks seem to drag, don’t they? Thank you so much for writing in with such lovely comments! WE’ll chat again after Friday’s review. : )

Mox

• myrnama

January 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Yes,the breaks do seem to drag by…I usually fall back to reruns or especially over the Holidays, previous Bones with Christmas episodes!! (Love the “Santa in the Slush!!” First Kiss! :)

You’re welcome for the comments, you write the preview or reviews in such a manner that makes me rethink & needful of watching the episodes over again!! Look forward to your review of Friday’s episode! Saw one Bones clip for “The Ghost in the Killer” on TVline, here’s the link. In case you hadn’t already seen it!! Always good to chat with you, Catherine! Myrna

• Catherine Cabanela

January 9, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Hey! I just got Seasons 7 & 8 on BluRay for Christmas so I can listen to the commentary and see the extras. That’s what I’ll be doing during future hiatus!! Our article about “Big in the Philippines” comes out tomorrow!

• myrnama

January 10, 2014 at 3:00 am

Will be looking forward to it, but in the meantime, can’t wait until tomorrow evening for the new epi of Bones!! “The Ghost in the Killer,” sounds like the coming episodes are really good ones!!! Myrna

6. GABRIEL

January 7, 2014 at 6:22 pm

It is always a pleasure to read your articles. I look forward to these next two episodes even if we still have some cold sweats and our brain and our heart will be a little roughed up. I am an absolute fan of this show but I must say that your articles are always beautiful invitations to love this show more.Thank you

• Catherine Cabanela

January 8, 2014 at 4:35 am

Thank you so much for commenting, Gabriel. Hart and Stephen said it’s the tenured shows that get to take the risks at this stage of the game. I, for one, learn something new from every risk they all take. Season 9.5 is no exception. I don’t know if the teen crowd will appreciate what they are seeing as much as those of us with a couple more miles on our shoes, but I don’t think ANYONE will be disappointed. Risks make for good entertainment if people are willing to take them. Lucky for us, Bones is!

Keep Lovin’ Bones,

Catherine

7. Heidi

January 7, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Catherine, this season so far has been very Brennan-centric, anything for Booth coming up? Feel like DB is being very underutilized!

• Catherine Cabanela

January 8, 2014 at 4:41 am

Here’s what I can tell you. Booth has some awesome scenes coming up. David Boreanaz directed (as far as I know) “Big in the Philippines” so you’d think he’d be scarce on screen, but he has several poignant and classic Booth moments as well. We have been promised weird, out-of-the-box episodes in Season 9.5 – so we shall see what part he takes in those episodes on screen. What I’m finding in these two first episodes is that the B&B relationship is so tight that both of their presences are felt even when just one of them is on screen. I can’t say more than that, but let’s keep talking about it here as we go forward, Heidi. Thanks for commenting!

Catherine

8. Anne

January 10, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I feel like some of your teasers mean a Booth and brennan break up or at least relationship issues

• Catherine Cabanela

January 10, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Anne, I think you will be satisfied that nothing is further from the truth in regard to their relationship … even though Booth admits he thinks she’s a little cray-cray over the Ghost Killer case. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks for commenting!

Catherine

• GABRIEL

January 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I dont think Anne , in a recent interview, Stephen Nathan was very clear on the fact that they don’t consider a break between Brennan and Booth. Here is what I read recently :

att’s Inside Line: December 19
      Any additional intel regarding how this season’s Bones cliffhanger will “change the landscape of the show”? It has me a little worried. —Jennifer

Relax. It’s going to be OK. EP Stephen Nathan went on to tell Ausiello that the potentially premise-altering twist does not pertain to Booth and Brennan’s personal life. “They’re not getting divorced or anything,” he assured. “We’re not going through nine seasons and then send them on the road to ruin. That’s not going to happen. They could be on a road to ruin but it’s not a personal ruin. They’re fine.”
      Source TV line

For me, it’s very understandable. This is a couple who has been through a lot to get to this stage. The journey they have done and the paths to get to this destination gives a special strength to their relationship. In addition, a vast majority of fans waited patiently Bones 9 years to get there, I think it would be a very bad idea.

Strangely I think Hodgins and Angela . I don’t know why. But surely I’m wrong . We don’t know much about the current state of their relationship. In appearance they give the impression that everything is going well but ……